A compendium of quotes I’ve noticed over the past week that were provocative, thoughtful, interesting, funny or patently absurd. Sent out (’Lord tarry and the creek don’t rise’) every Saturday:
- Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. – Redd Foxx
- Astounded, I pointed out the obvious. “Your wife died, you stopped eating, cried or slept all the time…and prayed to God that you would die? Sounds like you are very depressed.””No, I’m not depressed,” [my patient] said. “I just don’t want to live anymore.” – Fat Doctor
- After saying she found her “voice” in New Hampshire…we’ve had Experienced Hillary, Soft Hillary, Hard Hillary, Misty Hillary, Sarcastic Hillary, Joined-at-the-Hip-to-Bill Hillary, Her-Own-Person-Who-Just-Happens-to-Be-Married-to-a-Former-President Hillary, It’s-My-Turn Hillary, Cuddly Hillary, Let’s-Get-Down-in-the-Dirt-and-Fight-Like-Dogs Hillary. – Maureen Dowd
- Buckley was arguably the most important public intellectual in the United States in the past half century. For an entire generation he was the preeminent voice of American conservatism and its first great ecumenical figure. – George H. Nash, American conservative movement historian.
- “Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could.” – William F. Buckley, Jr.
- “I won’t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.” – William F. Buckley, Jr.
- Buckley’s greatest talent was friendship. The historian George Nash once postulated that he wrote more personal letters than any other American…He showered affection on his friends, and he had an endless stream of them, old and young. – David Brooks
- Faith, which is the belief in the supernatural despite lack of evidence, is, in the terms of some theologies, a gift from God. It is the belief in things not seen…Anyone can believe in a God who walks the Earth. – PalMD
- A physician who treats himself has a fool for a patient,” – Sir William Osler.
- …New physicians view medicine more like a job than a calling [while]…politicians and the public have decreasing respect for the profession. In addition, the constant siege by the lawyers is taking its toll…in such hostile times, why should doctors sacrifice more to the profession than they already have? – Kevin, M.D.
- Today, thanks to the Internet, we are all physicians. And potential fools. – Andre Picard
- Intubated COPD patients are generally stable patients..[with a] protected airway…[in a] controlled environment… Except when they aren’t. – Happy Hospitalist
- When I was a child, it was an easy time to dream. When you turn on your television set and men are landing on the moon, anything is possible, and we should never lose that spirit. – Randy Pausch, professor at Carnegie Mellon currently dying of pancreatic cancer. See his final lecture on following your dreams here.
One thought on “Saturday Night Quotes I Like – March 1”
Pingback: Saturday Night Quotes I Like - March 1